We emphasize mind, body and spirit, both in the classroom and in life, based upon our Nursing Hallmarks: Integrity, Compassion, Leadership, Scholarship, Excellence in Practice and Service to Others. Jewell's individualized learning experience prepares you with the critical thinking skills you need to be a successful nurse, in nearby Kansas City or beyond. This pre-licensure program prepares nurse generalists to enter the nursing field. What's more, you can enjoy all Jewell has to offer outside of nursing: excel as a student-athlete, join a fraternity or sorority, participate in choir or band, volunteer at an AIDS clinic in Kenya, organize a campus service project or attend free concerts through the Harriman-Jewell performing arts series.
A Distinctive Experience
You will begin clinicals the second semester of your sophomore year with a 6:1 student-faculty ratio and professors who are experienced practitioners. With over 650 hours of clinical and laboratory learning and a focus on the whole person, you will gain an advantage in understanding the complexities of your patients. With professors who emphasize excellent nursing skills, critical thinking and leadership, and a focus on accountability of the individual learner, Jewell graduates consistently score above the national pass rate on nursing licensing exams. We also offer a three-year degree program for those who want a quicker start on their careers.
Why choose nursing at Jewell?
- 85% employment rate prior to graduation
- 100% employment rate within 3 months of graduation
- Enjoy your learning environment on Jewell’s beautiful campus with state-of-the-art labs and simulation center.
- Take the lead. Learn critical thinking and leadership skills that give you a competitive edge.
- Grow your skills through comprehensive clinical experiences. Attend clinicals in the best hospitals and care facilities in the nearby Kansas City region.
- Be on the path for NCLEX success. Our curriculum is designed to prepare you to pass NCLEX the first time you sit for nursing boards. The focus on critical thinking and clinical judgment in the classroom and clinicals works to prepare you for NCLEX style questions and safe nursing practice. During your senior year, you will take part in predictor exams, a content review program and an NCLEX live review. Our designated NCLEX Success Coordinator individually guides students to success. If you are actively engaged in the resources provided and the NCLEX coordinator’s instructions, you can be 100% successful!
4 Nursing Tracks
We offer several ways for you to become a nurse: