A full- or part-time program to complete a master's degree AND earn a teaching certificate
Master of Arts in Teaching
Do you have a bachelor's degree and interest in teaching? In one year, you can earn your teaching certificate and a Master of Arts in Teaching. (Approved by Missouri DESE)
How does the M.A.T. program work?
Jewell's program helps you apply your existing professional knowledge and experience to teaching. You'll work in school classrooms immediately and learn how to teach students effectively from experienced master teachers.
- Full-time program starts June 1 and can be completed in one calendar year.
- Part-time program can be started at any time and can be completed in two years or less.
- Evening, weekend and hybrid classes accommodate adult learner schedules.
- Full-time Jewell Education professors work closely with you to mentor and support coursework, fieldwork, student teaching and beyond.
- Can be done in one or two years, depending upon your schedule and desired pace of study.
- You will need to pass the appropriate Missouri Content Assessment (MoCA) before admission to validate your content knowledge.
- Cost is $500/credit hour.
In addition to achieving teacher certification and a master's degree, you'll be part of a successful, highly reputable program. Jewell teacher education graduates are highly sought by school districts and have had a 100% teaching job placement rate for the past five years and a 90% fifteen-year placement rate.
Jewell's M.A.T. Program offers certifications for high school teaching in these areas (in which you already have a closely related baccalaureate degree):
- Art (K-12)
- Biology (9-12)
- Business (9-12)
- Communication (Teach Speech & Theatre 9-12)
- Chemistry (9-12)
- Chinese (K-12)
- Earth Science (9-12)
- English (9-12)
- Family and Consumer Sciences (K-12)
- French (K-12)
- German (K-12)
- Health (K-12)
- Journalism (9-12)
- Marketing (9-12)
- Math (9-12)
- Music - Instrumental (K-12)
- Music - Vocal (K-12)
- Physical Education (K-12)
- Physics (9-12)
- Social Science (9-12)
- Spanish (K-12)
“Jewell professors instill the ideals of hard work, doing what's best for kids and thinking outside the box. They taught me the importance of trying new things in the classroom, and I'm piloting a new class in business after two years as a teacher.”Abby Rowan Nickel, '17, 6th grade science teacher in Wentzville, Missouri, School District